Looking for a rewarding position? How would you like to serve those who served?
If you are looking for an opportunity to work for a great organization & make a difference, this is the job for you!
Come & join our winning team!
Benefits include Paid Vacation, Sick Time, Paid Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision and Company matching 401K
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED IN ENTIRETY/LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY.
With supervision, the Veteran Support Specialist is responsible for providing guidance and services to veterans to achieve their highest level of independence and assists in the daily implementation of day to day basic residential services.
For Veteran Support Specialists of all U.S.VETS Programs:
- Ensures harmonious atmosphere within program by maintaining communication with and being liaison between the clinical staff and program staff and fostering the therapeutic community environment among clients
- Establishes rapport and maintains a professional relationship and boundaries with clients and potential clients.
- Coordinates individual and group services that help veterans achieve specific life and recovery goals and support success
- Responsible for the preventing or de-escalating any problematic behaviors among clients including submitting Incident Reports to the Veteran Service Coordinator or Lead Veterans Service Assistant concerning these events
- Assists with maintaining compliance with VA, HUD, and other funder regulations and organization protocols in requesting third party documentation and ensuring all program documentation is collected and maintained
- Participates in case conferences, consultations, and staffing with appropriate staff.
- Facilitates and/or participates in monthly Town Hall meetings.
- Assists Case Managers in maintaining confidential client files in a professional and timely manner ensuring all forms are the most recently revised versions and in compliance with organization standards; all required documents are present, complete, signed by the client and staff as applicable; and documents are placed in the correct order according to organization standards
- Maintains confidentiality in compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards
- Assists in quality management activities, data collection, and preparing reports
- Attends scheduled team meetings and trainings
- Maintains and submits time sheets, mileage logs, supportive service requests, and other required documentation accurately and in a timely fashion
- Responsible for addressing client issues timely to ensure non-interruption of services
- With supervision, facilitates support groups and life skills classes and assists with teaching daily living skills on an individual level to those with specific needs
- Assists with monitoring program rent/participant fee compliance to assist clients in prioritizing housing
- Identifies and utilizes community resources to meet client needs.
- Transports clients to community medical, housing, errands, and other appointments and accompanies for support as needed
- Coordinates therapeutic, social/recreational activities and outings
- Performs other duties as required
Additional Program-Specific Duties:
U.S.VETS has various programs in which a Veteran Support Specialist may be assigned to, including Transitional Housing, Long-Term Supportive Housing, and Mental Health programs, that have additional program-specific duties as outlined below.
- For Veteran Support Specialists working with Transitional Housing (TH) programs:
- Assists with ensuring clients are accounted for daily through contact, bed check, and/or daily sign-in logs
- Reviews and determines client eligibility for passes and communicates decision to Case Manager consulting as needed
- Conducts toxicology testing of clients
- Conducts room checks/inspections to ensure health and welfare of clients
- Encourages and coordinates client participation in program activities based on the client's program track/model and goals
- For Veteran Support Specialists working with Long-Term Supportive Housing (LTSH) programs:
- Maintain and post calendar monthly of meaningful activities for clients to include at least 2 activities/classes per week and a monthly Town Hall meeting
- Facilitate two shuttle van runs per week to the VA and grocery store
- Coordinates services and provides information and referral to both U.S.VETS services/programs and resources in the general community
- Under supervision and direction of U.S.VETS, acts as liaison with Property Management team of housing facility in which LTSH clients live. May assist with resident lock-outs and contacts property personnel for major property issues
- Seeks support from Clinical staff as needed for crisis intervention and other therapeutic intervention
- For Veteran Support Specialists working with Mental Health programs:
- May report directly to the Clinical Director.
- Undergraduate in social sciences or related field preferred but will consider candidate attaining degree in social sciences or related field.
- Minimum of one year of direct practice (paid or volunteer).
- Maintains hours that are conducive to client needs (evenings and weekends will be required).
- For Houston site: ensures compliance with Texas Veterans Commission (TVC) grant requirements.
- For Veteran Support Specialists focusing on income and benefits advocacy:
- Collaborates with and may report to the Income & Benefits Specialist or directly to the Clinical Director to assist clients with applying for and navigating the benefits acquisition process.
- Transports and accompanies clients to benefits appointments with VA, Social Security, etc.
- Assists clients in creating and adhering to a personal budget to include making rent payments on time to prioritize housing